Thursday, June 12, 2008

Kansas Gardening-with Wind, Hail and Tornado

"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his spendor was dressed like one of these."
Luke 12:27



Yesterday was one of those gardener's nightmares. The wind blew about 30-40 mph out of the south all day. I'm glad I'm going native on a lot of my plantings. Even though they were bent over and whipped all day long, they just pop back up and keep on blooming!


Last night the storms rolled through. I took this picture of the sky around 8:30 or 9:00. It was like the clouds were rolling in long separate rolls out ahead of the storm. The first tornado warning came about 10:30 - right after I had gone to bed. It wasn't in the form of sirens - no such thing out here! - it was a call from mother-in-law saying the sirens were going off in Abilene. That got my attention!


Spent the next couple of hours going from window to window and door to door with the radio going, listening to all the sightings from all around us. When it started hailing, I started praying. We only had a little pea sized hail and as bad as that sounded, I would have hated to listen to the baseball sized hail reported around us!


I look around this morning and can honestly say that I need to count my blessings. We had no damage here on our farm - even my delicate flowers look pretty much ok.


I wish I could say the same for other areas. We are about 12 miles from Chapman, Kansas and that small town was nearly destroyed last night. I grew up in this county, went to school at Chapman High School, my kids and a lot of my nieces and nephews attended that school. I haven't been able to go there yet, but they say the High School is heavily damaged, the Middle School is gone and many other familiar places are destroyed. So far no one that I know was among the injured.


Yes, I am blessed. We'll be heading to Chapman later today to see what we can do to help. Please keep all the people who have lost their homes in your prayers today. Thanks for letting me vent and share today.

"The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble, He cares for those who trust in him." Nahum 1:7

No comments: