Saturday, April 11, 2009

Gourds For Nesting Platforms

Last year we had a pair of Phoebes nesting on top of the upstairs window frame under the eaves. After a little reading, I discovered that you can purchase nesting platforms for birds such as Phoebes and Robins. As I was drilling the hole for this gourd birdhouse, it cracked and as I was about to throw it away I had an idea! I cut the hole out larger and decorated it like I do my other gourds. I've hung it under the eaves near my kitchen window and am hoping to attract the Phoebes - or perhaps a Robin.
I'm keeping my eye on it and will share some pics if I succeed. My biggest problem around the farm is the persistence of the sparrows. They try to nest in everything and I'm sure they'll think this is a handy place to build one of their messy nests.

3 comments:

GW said...

That looks like a perfect situation for a robin with its wide opening. It's very pretty, too!

Stephanie said...

Hello Darlkay52, Found you blog through Blotanical. I just would like to say that this gourd will be a nice place for a nest! Cute too.

Lisa said...

Very sweet!