Tuesday, May 6, 2008

From Ugly Gourd to Bird Home

I started a new garden project last year - growing birdhouse gourds. These gourds are really easy to grow, but they do grow on large vines so make sure you have adequate space for them to spread out. When the vines died after the first frost last fall, I harvested the gourds and stored them in a single layer on loose straw in a corner of our barn. Then I just forgot about them until this spring. The gourds will cure and dry over the winter and by spring you should be able to hear the seeds rattling inside them when you shake the gourd.

Now begins the fun part! All that nasty, moldy skin on the outside needs to come off. I found the easiest method is to soak the gourds in warm water (you'll have to weigh them down to keep them covered with water) for about an hour. Using a metal scraper (dull knife) and a metal pot scrubber, clean off all of the loose material you can. The gourd will be stained and spotted, but that is perfectly normal. If there are some bumps or rough spots, these can be sanded smooth or left "as is" if you prefer.

After the gourd is completely dried, use a hole bit on your electric drill to place the opening in the gourd. I also use a small bit to drill 3 or 4 drainage holes in the bottom of the gourd.

Your gourd is ready to decorate in any way you want. They are also beautiful just left natural and they are very durable and will last for many years.

I have posted some pictures of gourds I have decorated in a slide show. I sell these gourds on Ebay or give them as gifts.

No comments: