Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hens & Chicks

If you asked me what my favorite plant collection is, I would have to say the Hens & Chicks. There are so many different varieties to choose from and they are so great to tuck into sunny places and just let them go. They don't require much water, basically planting them is about as easy as laying them on the ground. The other fun thing about Hens & Chicks is their versatility. They look really great scattered around some rocks in your garden. They really are fun, though, to find different and unique containers to put them in. The Hens & Chicks in the picture are some that I planted in an old Folgers Coffee can that I found rusting near an old homestead. They would completely have the can covered except that I pluck a few off every year and stick them into something else. A piece of aged wood or drift wood with a hollow spot in it looks great with some Hens & Chicks pouring over it. I have a rock that I found that was hollow inside and turned over with some mini Hens & Chicks growing in it makes a cute addition to another garden. I especially like putting them into old enamal ware pans and bowls.

I recently was given a big old concrete turtle planter. My project this summer is to fill it up with Hens & Chicks to give its "shell" an interesting texture. I'll have to share some photos when I get that accomplished.

If you haven't tried any Hens & Chicks yet, pick some up. They come in a huge variety of sizes, colors and textures. Mixing several together makes a very interesting display. Use your imagination and be sure and let me know if you've found some unique ways to display them in your garden.

No comments: