Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Growing Grandma's Iris



I really love iris. I have always had a few iris in any garden that I have had anywhere. A lot of them were the old fashioned kind that were planted many years ago by some former gardener and they are still coming up and blooming every year. I like the idea that my iris will continue to live and give people enjoyment long after I am gone.
I now live in a farmhouse that my husband's grandparents had lived in. When I moved here, all the old flower beds were gone and nothing of his grandmother's flowers had survived. Or so we thought. It seems that she had once had some really beautiful irises growing out by the road, but after having been neglected and mowed off for many years none of them were left.
A few years ago, the local phone company laid all new lines (so we could have DSL internet) and had dug trenches along the ditches all down our road. One day, the next spring as I was mowing along the ditch, I looked down and there were little iris plants coming up! Well, of course, I stopped the mower and dug up those little plants. I transplanted them into my flower beds and these lush yellow iris in the pictures are the result of that project.
I love the fact that these hardy little rhizomes had lain deeply buried in the ground for years surviving until they were brought to the surface by the trencher. Every year when they start to bloom I think, "These are for you, Grandma!" Even though I never had the chance to know her, I think she would be pleased!

No comments: